Geriatric Behavioral Health Unit
Growing older does not always come easy. There can be both physical and mental losses, but that does not mean one needs to give up on happiness and contentment.
At our Geriatric Behavioral Health Unit, we offer individualized short-term care in a warm, secure and supportive atmosphere for older adults experiencing psychiatric symptoms which require 24-hour acute inpatient treatment.
This program was designed for older adults who are experiencing emotional, behavioral or mental health issues, such as:
- Self-injurious (suicidal) thoughts or behaviors
- Severe agitation or anxiety
- Destructive or combative behavior
- Behavioral changes
- Delusions, hallucinations or paranoia
- Social withdrawal, loss of interest in personal appearance/hygiene
- Change in sleeping patterns or insomnia; change in appetite
- Dementia with behavioral disturbances such as agitation, anger and aggression
Our Interdisciplinary TeamOur team cares for both medical and mental health problems. Many times patients have medical issues, such as diabetes, congestive heart failure or other conditions along with the behavioral health concern, and our hospital staff can manage both. Our unit is located on the third floor of Valley Baptist, so should further intervention be required, help is never far away:
- Medical and surgical physicians
- Social workers
- Activity therapist
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
Our Treatment Plan Includes:
- Psychiatric and physical assessment
- Daily visits by psychiatrist
- Group activities, such as music and art therapy
- 24-hour nursing and medical support
- Individual and group therapy
- Family education and support
- Medication stabilization and management
- Comprehensive discharge planning
How to call for help:
Patient requests for service can be made by anyone, including a family member, physician or physician office, nursing home staff, assisted living facility representative or friend. All information is confidential.
1. Begin the process by calling 956-389-4940.
2. Answer questions about the patient:
- Presenting problem
- Medical conditions and history
- Demographic information
- Insurance Information
Our Geriatric Behavioral Health Unit is located on the third floor of the West Tower of Valley Baptist Medical Center-Harlingen, 2101 Pease Street, Harlingen, TX 78550.