Recipe – Microwave Omelet in a Mug
For a quick and healthy breakfast, toss eggs and veggies in a cup and let it cook while you enjoy your coffee or tea. Feel free to substitute vegetables with what you have on hand.
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Tbsp fat-free milk
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh spinach leaves or other greens
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp fat-free cheddar cheese (optional)
- Coat the inside of a 12-ounce (or larger) coffee mug with cooking spray.
- Add eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper into the mug. Whisk together with a fork. Stir in spinach, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high heat for 1 minute. Continue cooking in 30 second intervals as to not overcook the eggs, removing the mug when eggs are puffy and set. Cooking time will depend on the microwave wattage but probably be around 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top with scallions and eat immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association.