Specialized Care for Your Child
When your child is ill, you want high-quality, comforting care to help them recover as quickly as possible. Our pediatric staff at Valley Baptist Medical Center is here to help ensure your child feels safe and secure during the healing process and to keep you in the loop every step of the way. There’s a reason Valley Baptist has been a premier pediatric center in Rio Grande Valley for almost a century.
Highlights of Our Care
- Two Level II neonatal intensive care units to serve babies who need special care
- Our NICU at Valley Baptist-Harlingen in the only one in Harlingen
- Four neonatologists at each facility, one of whom is on-site at all times
- A 14-bed Pediatric ICU with the Matt & Patty Gorges Children’s Center, filled with colorful artwork and bright décor to help raise children’s spirits and promote healing.It is the only Pedi ICU in Cameron County.
- Our child life specialist is there to help with activities and creative pursuits to help your child help pass the time while at the hospital.
- Our playrooms offer a variety of toys and games for your child’s enjoyment
- Our teen rec room offers a wide range of online options and games
We offer advanced care for newborns, especially those who arrive early or have special health needs, thanks to our neonatal and pediatric ICUs. And once those babies become toddlers and young children, our pediatricians continue to provide them outstanding care while they grow.
Neonatal and Pediatric ICUs
Children and newborns in need of intensive medical care are treated in our pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) at Valley Baptist in Harlingen, and neonatal intensive care units (NICU/NBICU) at both of our hospitals.
Valley Baptist—Brownsville’s NICU is a Level II facility with 34 beds, and can care for babies at the critical, step-down and intermediate care levels.
The Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NBICU) at Valley Baptist—Harlingen is also a Level II facility, with 40 beds to serve the tiniest of newborns.
In addition, Valley Baptist provides the services of four neonatologists at each facility, one of whom is on-site at all times, along with a neonatal nurse practitioner.
Our 14-bed Pediatric ICU is a part of the Matt & Patty Gorges Children’s Center, and offers pediatric care from experienced pediatric specialists and other dedicated pediatric care providers.
Children’s Services can be found at Matt & Patty Gorges Children’s Center at our Harlingen location and the Pediatrics Unit at our Brownsville location.
Matt & Patty Gorges Children’s Center
In 2003, the Matt & Patty Gorges Children’s Center opened at Valley Baptist Medical Center—Harlingen.
The Gorges Children’s Center has 48 private rooms and 14 pediatric intensive care rooms, all of which feature colorful artwork and bright décor that help dispel children’s fears while they’re in the hospital.
Pediatrics at Valley Baptist Medical Center—Brownsville
At Valley Baptist Medical Center—Brownsville, we offer children’s care in an 18-bed pediatric unit that is staffed by nurses who have provided decades of warm, caring service to our youngest patients.
For more information, please call us at:
Valley Baptist Medical Center-Harlingen Pediatrics: (956) 389-5493
Valley Baptist Medical Center-Harlingen Pediatrics ICU: (956) 389-4847
or Valley Baptist Medical Center-Brownsville: (956) 698-5434