What to Expect
Have Your Questions Answered
When you visit Valley Baptist, you can expect comforting care while staying at state-of-the-art facilities. We’re ready to sit down and talk to you about your fears and concerns and offer expert care with advanced technologies.
Do you have questions about your upcoming surgery or hospital visit? The following information will help you better prepare and know what to expect when you arrive at a Valley Baptist hospital.
- Schedule a consultation. Get a clear picture about what will happen at the hospital and make sure you know who will be your treating physician.
- Designate a point person. Be sure to designate a close family member or friend to be a point person authorized to communicate with your medical team if necessary.
- Know your patient rights. As a patient, you can decide who visits you and have other rights while you are under our care. Learn more about your patient rights.
- Reduce your risks. We have specific rules in place to ensure your visit is safe and secure. Be sure to follow all the hospital’s safety rules during your stay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before Visiting the Hospital
Do I need to complete additional paperwork at the hospital?
We encourage you to use our online pre-registration tool before your visit. This should cover the majority of paperwork needed. However, there may be an additional form or two that you will need to fill out when you check in.
Valley Baptist Medical Center Harlingen pre-registration
Valley Baptist Medical Center Brownsville pre-registration
Forms you may be asked to complete when you arrive:
- Authorization to Release Protected Health Information During This Admission
- Consent for Treatment and Conditions For Admission
- Acknowledgement of Receipt of Notice of Privacy Practices
Will pre-admission testing be done prior to my surgery?
We suggest that you get any pre-admission testing your doctor requests completed two to 10 days before your surgery. Your doctor will be in charge of ordering the tests, which may include:
- Blood test
- Urine test
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Chest X-ray
How do I get directions to the hospital?
Find detailed information on how to find our hospitals at our Maps & Directions pages.
Valley Baptist Medical Center Harlingen directions
Valley Baptist Medical Center Brownsville directions
Preparing for Your Surgery
Should I stop taking any of my medication before surgery?
Talk with your doctor about your medications before your surgery.
What do I do if I’m sick?
Notify your doctor if you develop flu-like symptoms, such as a fever lasting more than 24 hours.
Are there food and drink restrictions for my surgery?
Check with your doctor for specific instructions on what you can and cannot eat or drink prior to surgery.
Can I drive home after surgery?
Please make arrangements for a responsible adult to drive you home after your surgery. Afterward, wait until you have clearance from your doctor to drive.
The Day of Surgery
What time should I arrive at the hospital for my surgery?
Please arrive at least two hours before your scheduled procedure.
Can I bathe, brush my teeth or wear makeup for surgery?
Bathing or showering using antibacterial soap and brushing your teeth before surgery is perfectly fine. However, please limit makeup and remove all body piercings and jewelry.
Can friends and loved ones visit after surgery?
After surgery, you’ll be in post-anesthesia care. Visitors will be restricted at this time. When you are moved to a room, loved ones will be allowed to see you.
Who do I contact if I need to cancel my surgery?
Notify your doctor and the hospital’s surgery scheduling department as soon as possible.
Learn more about your condition.
Have more questions?